We have begun the recovery process as the surgeries for now have been completed. There will be plastic surgeries arranged in the future as her skin heals. However, while in the hospital we have witnessed what she can use, what she likes, and other things that maybe you are curious about for AJ.
Therefore, I have put this list together for those who have asked us what she needs, what she likes, and what they can get her to comfort her in this long process of recovery and healing. I pray those of you who have asked about these things, will find this helpful as you ponder what her needs are, and/or what gifts she would like.
In an effort to not get too much of something, please email me as to what you would like to get her based on this list, and I will update it and put a strikethrough so that you know it is a need that has been met.
Does Anyone Have?….
I know this is a bigger item, but if anyone has a La-z-boy that sits itself up for the person to stand, and recline, that we can borrow for about 3 months – that would be fantastic. I realize that this is a big item, no worries! God will show us the way and direct us for He is our Provider.
Little Things that Have Meant a Lot for Everyday Use
AJ wants to feel clean and due to her injuries, she is unable to shower on her own for a while and will be dependent on sponge baths. Also, there are places that she is unable to reach in caring for herself and has asked us to help with certain things.
- Gel pillows for her wheelchair to sit on, and her back
o No fruity, strong, or bed linen scents
o She likes coconut and delicate scents
- Spray for cooling and itch relief
- Foot lotion for foot massages
- Something to help with massaging out knots in her shoulders, back
- Back scratcher or other things used to scratch
- Mild facial wipes as she often wipes her face down to feel clean and fresh, sensitive skin
- Baby Wipes (We will be using a lot of these)
- Mild facial cream, sensitive
- Sponges for sponge bath
- Wash cloths
- Good comb for her hair as she likes to have it brushed and braided
- Delicate scented candles
She will need plastic surgery on her forehead, but not until it fully heals. Therefore, she has been told that the need to wear wide-brimmed hats and use lots of Mederma
- Gift cards to places that sell wide-brimmed hats; Target, Wal-Mart, etc. (I don’t know of any hat stores really.) God will work it all out =)
- Mederma with high SPF for face
Whole Body Healing
Doctors really want her to eat lots of protein, protein shakes, bars to help with healing.
- Flavors she likes; dark chocolate, vanilla, honey, peanut, (Balance Bar – Yogurt Honey Peanut) etc.
For those wanting to send comforting gifts; things she may like or doesn’t like. I have broken it down by category.
Some things to know about AJ…
Drinks, Snacks, and Candy that She Likes
- Tazo- Vanilla Rooibis Parfait (teas)
- Starbucks Coffee Pike’s Place or gift card
- Milky Way Midnight Bars
- Dark Chocolate without Nuts
- Doritos, Cool Ranch
- Original Cheez-Its
- Loves Mangoes!!!
- Loves Sushi!
Comfy, non-restricting Clothes that She Likes.
- Yoga pants, small, black – Target
- Maxi skirts, small
- 49ers Green T-shirt from UNCC, small
- Favorite colors to wear: salmon, lighter neutrals, blues, black, and white
- Colors that she doesn’t like: pink brown, gold
Music She Likes
- Claude DeBussy
- Classical Instrumentals by Classical Composers
- Hillsong United CD’s especially the album that has “Oceans, Where Feet May Fail”
Books She Likes:
- Inspirational Stories
- Inspirational Quotes
- Inspirational Art (handmade art and pictures from you too!)
- Robert Frost
- Charles Bukowski (poems, not books)
- F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Ernest Hemingway
- Sylvia Plath
My email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you once again for pulling together and making this a bearable journey. God is so good. May He bless you all for being such a great blessing to AJ and to our family!
~Laurie for the PopTribe, #TeamAniyah